1/01/2005

Drudge: Kofi's 72-hour Delay in Skiing Paradise

Part of the transcript with a reporter questioning Kofi Annan's 72 hour delay getting back to the U.N. after the tsunami disaster:

Q: Mr. Secretary, picking up on Richard's question, I think a lot of people are asking exactly why you waited three days on vacation in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, before you decided to fly back to New York in the face of this extraordinary crisis. Could you give us a full explanation of your thinking on that? Secondly, what kind of signal does that 72-hour delay send to the nations to which you are now appealing for greater help?

Annan: First of all, there was action. It wasn't inaction. We live in a world where you can operate from wherever you are. You know the world we live in now. You don't have to be physically here to be dealing with the leaders and the Governments I have been dealing with. You don't have to be physically here to be discussing with some of the agencies that we have done.


I came back here because we have reached a level that I wanted to have meetings with all the people that I have met with today. So, we have taken action. And I don't have to be sitting in my office to take action. I think the same goes for you in your profession.


It continues to amaze me the mindset we are witnessing...attack the President for inaction, even though he has a complete working office at his Texas home and used it to coordinate efforts from there...but DARE to question Kofi Annan's three day fling on the ski slopes and he is insulted...

Thanks to Matt Drudge for linking to this.

DR