2/24/2005

Doug Wead - Back-Stabbing, Back-Tracker

Well, let's see...I'm thinking that Doug Wead realizes that - as they say in the South - he shit in his nest, and is now doing the fast backtracking in an attempt to undo the damage...unfortunately, I don't think it can be undone....

- First of all, that he actually taped private conversations with someone that was considering running for president of the United States of America...when he was an evangelical adviser to the man...

- Secondly, that he now releases those tapes at a time that just happens to coincide with the release of a new book...(I don't care how much he denies it, it was a publicity stunt)

- Thirdly, now that he sees the reaction and recoiling from him after he revealed himself to be less than trustworthy as a 'friend'...now, he decides to apologize and declare that "history can wait"...

HA!

Maybe he didn't think it all the way through...but, usually when someone is discovered to be a traitor....well...suffice it to say he will be wearing the proverbial scarlet letter from this day forward...

"I know Doug Wead," said James Dobson, the influential founder of the evangelical group Focus on the Family who acknowledged receiving a "heads up" before the newspaper report appeared.

"I am shocked by his breach of trust and his relationship with then-Gov. Bush, who had welcomed him into his confidence."

"I would say it wasn't all that great a career move if he wants to speak at evangelical events," said Richard Land, president of the ethics and religious liberty commission of the Southern Baptist Convention.

"My thanks to those who have let me share my heart and regrets about recent events," Wead wrote in the statement, posted on his Web site Tuesday. "Contrary to a statement that I made to the New York Times, I know very well that personal relationships are more important than history."

Too late...

My grandma always said...once the toothpaste is squoze from the tube...it ain't going back in...

...and my dad was always fond of saying...engage mind before opening mouth...

...apparently that wasn't something the Wead family discussed much...

DR