2/21/2005

Ward Churchill: First Amendment Rights Do Not Apply To My Critics

The infamous Ward Churchill has quite a legacy...one of hate-filled speeches and attempts to incite physical violence against his critics...

This student, Grant Crowell, experienced that aspect of Churchill’s twisted approach to things in 1994 when Churchill went to speak at the University of Hawaii-Manoa campus in Honolulu.

According to Crowell he had created a cartoon that was published in the student newspaper that caused outrage among left-wing activists: I had depicted one of Ward Churchill’s close colleagues on our campus, Professor Haunani K. Trask, U.H.’s Hawaii Studies Director, reading an excerpt from her recently published poetry book, entitled "Racist White Woman," who described in lurid detail her fantasy of punching, knifing, mutilating and ultimately murdering a white colleague she despised.

Well, let’s see…I am trying to relate…if I ‘despise’ someone, do I write a book detailing how I would like to off that person?…Nope…can’t relate…

But, in the interest of fairness, let’s assume that is what I, the normal, everyday, go-to-work-to-get-a-paycheck-to-pay-my-mortgage kind of person that I am…let’s just assume for a moment that if someone pisses me off, I will go to my publisher with my detailed diary entries so that everyone will now know what a psycho I am…

And if anyone dares publish a cartoon challenging that thought process…well, I will just call on my friend Ward “Dr. No” Churchill…

Okay, I really am getting into this…

So, this student gets his cartoon published…which apparently really pissed off the psycho Professor Trask…so when Churchill arrives for his book discussion on his latest masterpiece, Fantasies of the Master Race: Racism in the University, the whole thing deteriorated into this:

During Churchill’s speaking time at the event, this man -- a man who had never met me and refused to do so before and during the event -- included in his speech a reference to me as "vermin," and shared aloud a story of how an unnamed Nazi cartoonist was tried at the WWII Nuremburg trials, executed, dismembered and then cremated. Churchill’s ended this story with his own personal comment of, "Now, I’m not saying that should happen to Grant, but it would be a good thing."

Don't tell me the audience didn't understand his suggestion...thankfully they didn't follow through on it...Churchill, just by his size alone, could be a really intimidating figure I imagine

...the thought of him ranting like we have seen lately, saying without really saying it, that it would be a good thing to execute, dismember and cremate someone just because they don't agree with him, is way, way, way beyond the pale...

The stories that are beginning to surface all point to one conclusion…Ward Churchill is a dangerous man…

I am really trying to understand the professors that are supporting Churchill's repeat visit to the University of Hawaii...do you think it is out of loyalty for 'one of their own'?

...do you suppose they are thinking "there but for the grace of God go I"?

It's possible...and I am trying to give them the benefit of doubt...because the other option...the one that tells us that they are of the same mindset...now THAT would be a real problem...

...hopefully that is not the case...HOPEFULLY...

DR