1/26/2005

Imagine...

Remember the song John Lennon wrote called “Imagine”?

‘course you do…

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isn’t hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possessions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say
I’m a dreamer,
but I’m not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

Okay, stop the daydreaming…I can see it in your eyes…focus…FOCUS!

That was a nice song for Lennon’s era, and I oft hear it when following the hippies and lefties as they congregate…it is their theme song…it is what they live for…

Of course, they also believe there is no heaven and that all the people should ‘live for today’…and have ‘no religion too’…THAT is a requirement if you expect entry into their ranks…

...oh, and I almost forgot to mention...whenever I hear artists singing about 'imagine no possessions'...I am still LOLROTFAPG...Seriously!...those guys sing about no possessions...or about the horrible use of fossil fuels...then they take our money from the sale of their music...and ride off into the sunset inside their gas-guzzling-chauffer-driven limosines (or Hum-vees)

But…I digress…the real reason I bring this up is because the last few days as I was working and following the events in Congress…watching and listening to the passionate, spittle-spewing-hate-mongering from some of those august members…for some strange reason that song kept replaying in my mind…and you know something? It didn’t get me any closer to understanding what makes those kooks tick, but it did give me reason to pause…

Imagine a world where Al Gore was president when the terrorists flew airplanes - loaded with living, breathing captives – into skyscrapers…

Imagine there’s no one with a spine to stand up to the terrorists as they plot
and carry out a second…then a third…attack on this country…

Imagine Saddam was never forced into a spider hole and is still torturing
and killing innocent citizens…and hosting Osama bin Laden who never had to go into hiding because otherwise he knows he would be instantly captured or murdered if spotted…

Imagine our country and its citizens left with no infrastructure or semblance of control as it is overrun by those same terrorists…

Imagine every day being called to muslim prayer by the chanting
over loudspeakers because your country is no longer yours and you have nothing to change it and no control over the future…

Think it is impossible? Think again…it has happened…more than once…

Oh don’t even try to put it to a tune or hum along…I am not a songwriter…I just have these thoughts that float around inside my head…and sometimes they find their way down my arms…all the way to my fingertips…onto the keyboard…into cyberspace…imagine…

DR