1/09/2005

Aaron Tonken: "I Told Hillary Everything"

It's clear that Hillary's 'people' are now running around trying to do damage control...

...but...will it work?

Peter Paul, now in prison, is described as a former Hollywood Internet entrepreneur and partner of Spiderman creator Stan Lee, spent nearly $2 million to produce in August 2000 a Hollywood tribute to honor President Clinton and to help raise funds for Hillary Clinton’s 2000 U.S. Senate campaign. He was repeatedly assured that his expenses would be reported to the Federal Election Commission.

It turns out that Paul has been helping the Feds, providing information that ultimately led to the indictment of Hillary Clinton’s former Senate campaign finance chairman, David Rosen.

But wait, there's more:

Aaron Tonken is currently in prison for his role in organizing the event. Tonken, once apparently star-struck and power hungry, is now singing to the feds....and he wrote a book...

Writes Tonken in describing the departure of the Clintons the night of the gala: "Just before they got into the limo, I handed the president gifts from me, Stan Lee and Peter Paul: for him, a custom humidor and a handmade gold watch worth tens of thousands; for Hillary, a necklace that cost eight grand. The first lady disliked it and later sent it back.

"Before my car arrived, I had my last fond glimpses of this gathering of the rich and famous. I watched them drive off into the night. I may have been the ultimate outsider growing up, but not any more. Now I was in, and they were my people.

"But not for long. In less than three years I'd be busted. Instead of chronicling my stunning successes, Variety's Army Archerd would be writing about my criminal misdeeds; I'd be talking not to presidents and movie stars, but to the FBI and other federal agencies, handing over more than two dozen boxes of letters, e-mails, receipts and invoices, cooperating as the government pursued a multifaceted investigation into the corruption that lay hidden behind all the glitter."

Tonken's dose of reality includes one very key conversation he says he had with Hillary Clinton, revealing everything to her about the illegal fund raising/reporting activities - not because of a guilty conscience, but because he wanted credit for it...but the fact remains- Hillary KNEW:

Tonken later writes he explained what he was doing and how to the Senate candidate while the two were alone briefly in a van during a day of campaigning in L.A.:

"I'd spent odd moments alone with [Hillary] before, primarily in the evening at the White House. But this was my real shot to talk to her with no one else around, and what I wanted was to let her know how much I admired her, how much I was behind her, and most important, what I had already done for her. It was, quite by accident, the moment of truth. …

"I told her about virtually every penny I'd spent on her behalf. I let her know what I was doing and had done for each event of hers. I spoke about the money and what a pleasure and honor it was to spend it on her candidacy for the U.S. Senate.

"Once and for all, I wanted it clear in her mind who was the person really doing things for her. There was so much jockeying for position among those around her: Kelly, David, Jim Levin, and so on. People taking credit for stuff. I thought I might have been short-changed, and I wanted to correct that.


"I believed that once she knew the facts, she would see how valuable I was to her and welcome me into her inner circle. The whole thing was intended to be solely for my benefit. I never wanted to hurt her. I could tell she wasn't entirely comfortable with this conversation, and yet I couldn't stop. It wasn't until much later that I fully realized what I had done. Whatever protection her staff had built around her, however much in the dark they had kept her, that was over.

"Now she knew."

hmmm...very interesting indeed...

let's see how Hillary tries to wiggle out of this one....

DR